Architecture in Berlin - S is for Schlesischer Bahnhof - Berlin-Silesian Railway
Built between 1867 and 1869 by architect Eduard Römer, Schlesischer Bahnhof was the Berlin terminus of the Prussian Eastern Railway that connected the Prussian capital with Königsberg and Russia, replacing an older building located 400 east of the station. In the following years the terminus was enlarged and a new train hall was built.
The station was heavily damaged in WWII and twice rebuild by East German authorities, first in the 1950s using the older structure, and later between 1987 and 1990. It was supposed to be East Berlin new main station, however, this project was never finished. Instead, a new Ostbahnhof was built after German reunification.